The electric meat grinders and food grinders available in the market these days reduce your labor while grinding meat, vegetables, fish and making sausages. The time that is needed to perform these tasks is also reduced considerably, and the vintage meat grinder may seem to be obsolete.
You can easily purchase the Vintage Meat grinders online on various websites such as Amazon and eBay or in garage sales at bargain prices of $15 to $160. These grinders are in mint conditions and can be restored quickly and ready to grind meat. These grinders are indestructible and can be also used to grind nuts, onions and other vegetables though they are called meat grinders.
The grinders come in various cutting plate designs and can be changed easily. They can be used for different purposes. These old grinders were made of cast steel, cast iron and aluminum with internal parts that are designed precisely. Some models also come with ball bearings and get lubricated by the food that is inserted in the funnel. Sometimes these models may rust if not dried before storing them. To avoid rust you can apply mineral oil to the moving parts of the grinder.
You can purchase a vintage meat grinder either to display it as an antique or to use these food processing machines to their full operating capacity for the rest of their lifespan. So if you wish to know when can you use this old meat grinder that has to be operated manually? These can be used as a second grinding machine when you need to process a huge amount of meat after a wild game.
This can also be used to grind a batch of fish fillets for preparing fish cakes. The meat grinder also comes handy for grinding purposes when you go to a bush camp and there is no electricity available. This manual grinder is a low cost investment and easily fits into your budget and you can use it for several years to grind food.
The latest vintage meat grinders those are available in market these days are rust resistant, come with long handles so that can be operated easily and turned easily, have sharp ground cutters which can be used for course or fine grinding. These are very easy to dismantle and store as well as clean. Weston is one of the leading company manufacturing meat grinders. You can prepare sausages, burgers and freshly process meat. If you need sausage making funnels they are also supplied along with it.
Some of the models can be mounted to the counter or tabletop or mounted with the suction cup feet that are available as an accessory. These grinders are especially designed for gardeners, hunters and food enthusiasts who want to process their food themselves. The grinder can easily ground up to 4 lbs. of meat per minute.
Tips to buy a Vintage grinder
Before purchasing a vintage grinder ensure the attaching mechanism and the crank handle are in working condition. You can keep these points in mind before choosing a vintage grinder:
• The handle must turn smoothly and should not wobble while operating it.
• There should not be any rust on the grinder, if little rust is present if you are purchasing a used grinder you should be able to remove it by light cleaning or sanding. If purchasing a new one you can definitely chose a rust resistant model.
• The multi bladed cutter head must be in working condition and the auger square drive end must not be worn out.
• You must choose a model with at least 2 grinding plates namely coarse and fine. In few models you will find additional plates, sausage attachments and pulverizer as well.
• The lock collar which holds the grinding plate securely should be fastened securely.
• The unit thumb screw threads should be in good shape and should be capable of installation on stable surface.
• When you purchase a used meat grinder you can first disassemble it and clean it in hot soapy water. Post that you can clean it and dry thoroughly with the help of cloth or hair dryer.
The process to operate meat grinder is really simple and all you need to do is clamp it to table/counter, insert augur then cutter head, grinding plate that you need and lock everything with collar. You may need to process the meat 2-3 times depending upon how tender meat or fish you need. You can cut meat or fishes into small pieces and never use your fingers to push the food down.